Wednesday, November 19, 2008

HowTo: Logitech MX500 under FreeBSD

I have both a Logitech MX500 and a MX518, however I've loaned the MX518 to my brother. So I took my previous post on MX518 and mirrored it to MX500.

Being an Enemy Territory (ET) old timer I need to make full use of the MX500 mouse under FreeBSD, which means having the Back, Forward and the other weird button below the wheel working as available binds while playing ET.

The bellow xorg.conf settings were tested under FreeBSD 7.0 and X.Org X Server 1.4.2.
  • % su
  • # vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection
With these settings you're free to bind MOUSE4, MOUSE5 and KP_EQUALS to Enemy Territory.

As a bonus, you can now use the Back and Forward buttons under Opera.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm owner of Logitech V470 Cordless Laser Mouse (Bluetooth) and I haven't figured out how to make use of horizontal scrolling (moving wheel sideways).
Could you help please ?

Cheers,

Martin

tangram said...

Hello Martin,

Sorry but can't help you. I don't have the mouse nor have I ever used any Bluetooth device on BSD (or Linux for that matter).

Searching on google I did came across this thread http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org/msg00364.html.

You can try posting in FreeBSD's mailing list or forums. Maybe there you'll find help.

Best regards.